Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What's Up With the Doc 33? - I'm Back

I'm baaaaack!

On the cancer front, I had my first Alimta treatment yesterday. My oncologist and I decided to just go with single agent Alimta and see what happens. That's how it's approved for second (really third line, in my case) treatment. Today I have a wee headache and I'm the slightest bit queasy. I'm back at work after my Christmas trip (more on that later). The pharyngitis/esophagitis from the radiation therapy is finally acting like it might eventually go away. Up until the end of last week I was requiring 800 mg of Ibuprofen every 8 hours, 10 mg of oxycodone at bedtime and another 5 when I awoke in pain in the middle of the night. Now I'm down to 400 mg of Ibuprofen every 8 hours, which is good, since Ibuprofen can increase absorption of Alimta. It still hurts to swallow but it's down to about a 6 from the worst when it hurt all the time and was probably a 9 with swallowing. My neck and back pain are gone or at least completely managed with moderate doses of Ibuprofen. Next scan is I don't know when as long as I tolerate the Alimta and feel OK. My oncologist doesn't want to rush into treatment decisions at this point, since there aren't any FDA approved treatments after third line so we want to give the Alimta the best possible chance to work.

After refusing to travel over Christmas since my oldest child was born (23 years) we were blessed with excellent air travel luck both on the 24th and 28th. No missed connections, no long delays. We got to Albuquerque early in the afternoon on Christmas Eve where we joined my brother and his wife, my sister and her SO (at her house), Lindsay and her husband and Emma for food and egg nog and good cheer. We spent the night at a bed and breakfast and went back to her house on Christmas morning for presents. Then we went back to the B&B where my SIL made a wonderful breakfast for us and then my kids all headed for Santa Fe to their dad and his family. I took a nap and then we headed back over to my sister's house where we had Christmas prime rib with my sister and her SO, my brother and SIL, my mother and stepfather, SIL's son and fiance and sister's SO's father and sister. It was heavenly (even though it hurt like hell to swallow - taste wasn't affected). Friday we pretty much just hung out and gabbed and then we headed to Santa Fe for my mother's 75th birthday dinner. The margaritas were awesome! I had a blue one called the Turquoise Trail as well as one of their 100% agave specials. The red chile was wonderful. The entire restaurant sang to my mother and we enjoyed 2 of my childhood friends and one of my sister's who were all kind of adopted by my mother. My kids came back to Albuquerque with us after the restaurant and we went to see Marley and Me. Saturday we had breakfast and then just hung out with the family. We ordered BBQ in for dinner. Sunday we got up bright and early and headed for the airport and made it home before too late Sunday night.

Now I guess I'm not supposed to challenge the Christmas travel gods for another 20 years.

Overall I'm feeling about 75% but still at work. Volleyball travel starts in 2 1/2 weeks.

Happiness in the New Year to all.


No comments: